The perfect life doesn't exist, it's a myth. What if I were to tell you that getting that big house or having a fancy job title, or even being a size 0 won't make you happy-not long term. Happiness is something that seems to be elusive to so many of us. Maybe it's because we are caught up in the comparison game, seeking validation that we're okay by holding up our lives next to the lives of our friends, family, neighbors, even strangers-and though I am not against Facebook, it tends to really put it in your face and one can't help but get caught up in comparing. How could you possibly be happy constantly comparing yourself to others?
There is nothing wrong with setting goals for yourself, but they need to be for the right reasons otherwise you will stay in this vicious cycle your entire life. You will always find something to compare if you let yourself go down that road! Why would you want to torture yourself? Life is messy, crazy, complicated, sad, joyful, amazing-life is perfectly imperfect, we are perfectly imperfect and it's wonderful, in fact, it's a beautiful thing!
Stop, right now, competing or comparing yourself with others. Stop comparing your life, your job, your body, your home, your children, your parenting, whatever it may be, with that of others! It's unhealthy and more importantly it's robbing you blind of joy in life!!! I have an uncle who always wrote in his greeting cards to me "peace of mind is the whole thing" -as a kid I thought what? I had no clue what that meant! But as I have gotten older these words resonate in my life daily and I strive for it. That is HUGE, peace of mind can only come when we let go of these stupid notions of how life is "supposed to be". It's so easy to be discouraged when you compare yourself with others, no wonder people get down. There is no "supposed to be", not to be cheesy here but "we are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams"- thank you Mr. Wonka! What I am getting at is that we can choose happy-you can choose happy! Shut it down, when even one thought comes into your mind about what somebody else has or is doing, just shut it down. Focus on what you have and what is good in your own life. This will take effort on your part, I am not saying this is easy-it takes a conscious effort to be happy. Get the idea of how life "should be" out of your head. When we stop focusing on what we don't have and start focusing on what we do, we can truly have peace of mind....and that's the whole thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment